Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the orgin of meaning. – C.S. Lewis
Play is the key to unlocking imagination! Imagination opens up new possibilities, seeks and identifies new opportunities for critical thinking and creative problem solving and leads to innovation.
Playstorming is an experiential learning technique, which leverages applied improvisation. Did you know, applied improvisation is being taught in blue-chip companies and in more than half of the top business schools around the world?
What is applied improv you might ask?
According to Viola Spolin in Improvisation for the Theater, “Improvisation is setting out to solve a problem with no preconception as how you will do it, permitting everything in the environment to work for you in solving the problem.”
Playstorming brings the proven tools and techniques used by improvisors into the workplace and community.
What is Playstorming’s experiential learning approach?
Playstorming is a type of experiential learning, a proven methodology for teaching skills such as team building, sales, customer service, leadership and creativity. A five-step process (shown below), the approach begins with an experience designed to engage the learner in solving a problem, meeting a challenge, or simply participating in a fun experience. When improvisation is used as an experiential learning technique, the experience is a game or other fun group activity.
The Fives Steps of Playstorming
Here’s a brief description of all 5 steps:
- Experiencing: Participants play a game or engage in a fun, group activity.
- Publishing: Participants report on what happened during the learning experiencing stage.
- Processing: Participants systematically examine their shared experience.
- Generalizing: Participants begin to look at how what they learned could apply to their own real-life situations. This stage is critical in answering the question adult learners always have on their minds, “Why is this important to me?” or “How will I be able to make use of this learning?”
- Applying: Learners identify specifically how they will apply what they’ve learned from the experience to their own real-life situations. This answers the equally crucial questions, “What next” or “How do I begin?”
The spontaneity and ingenuity of effective improvisational games leads participants to report the following:
- Freedom from approval or disapproval during the learning experience.
- A relief from the tension and distraction that can result from competitiveness of some other training experiences.
- The physicalization or personalization of concrete experience, which can dramatically enhance learning for many participants.
- The sharpening of participants’ sensory abilities and awareness of their own perceptual/learning process, which better enables them to carry their learning into real-world situations
If you’re looking for ways to enhance your organisation’s results and want to enrich how people relate to each other, Playstorming can result in:
- High-performing teams
- More collaborative relationships
- Greater creativity and innovation
- Increased authenticity and presence
- Adapting successfully in the moment
- Responding confidently to whatever happens
Playstorming will develop a customized workshop based on your budget and your needs. Workshops include:
- Customer Service
- Presentation Skills
- Strategic Planning
- Customer Journey Mapping
Planning A Playstorming Workshop
Planning a workshop involves the following:
- Access the needs and goals of the organization/participant audience.
- Select the appropriate skills workshop design(s) (Teambuilding, Leadership, Sales, Customer Service, Creativity, etc.)
- Identify the specific workshop learning objectives that apply to the participants.
- Develop the sequence of icebreakers, warm-ups, and other games/activities that will enable the audience to meet the learning objectives.
- Review your preliminary sequence with other facilitators and client decision-makers as appropriate.
- Schedule your Playstorm!
Fill out the form below to schedule a Playstorming consultation.
Playstorming is located in Austin, TX with affiliates located in Los Angeles.Contact: 502-645-6887